With Autumn here, we welcome the beginning of those chilly nights where we can get cozy under a blanket and dream of collecting stars to wish upon.
Creating a cozy space for your little to dream in is fun and easy with wall art. Wall art is a great option as it is easily changeable (for another season) with a quick coat of paint. Add to the story by including a graphic pillow in the creative mix. Below are instructions to create the "Dreaming of Geese & Stars" wall art and graphic pillows. You can find the Due North Goose print here, the graphics for the Compass pillow here, the Pinecone pillow here, and the complimentary stars and sweet dreams text here and here.
"Dreaming of Geese & Stars" Wall Art:
Option One (Projector):
- Place a transparency sheet on top of your printed Due North Goose print. (You may need to decrease the size of the print depending on your tracer projector size.)
- Trace the goose with a dry erase marker.
- Place the transparency sheet under your tracer projector. With the projector, you can increase or decease the size of the image. Use various sizes for a true perspective of distance.
- Find a size and position you like and, using a light touch, trace the image with a pencil onto the wall. Repeat until you have desired design.
- Repeat the process with the stars.
- Paint traced images with desired colours.
Option Two (Stencil):
- Resize the goose and stars to your desired sizes. (You can resize using your printer’s settings or by taking the digital files to your local printer.)
- Print out on to card stock paper (for a single use option) or, if you want the stencil to be reusable, print onto transparency film.
- Trace around your design with an exacto/utility/hobby knife.
- Place stencils on wall in desired positions, using a repositionable spray adhesive to hold your stencil in place.
- Using a brush, dabber, sponge, or roller, paint over stencils with desired colours. Allow to dry slightly before removing stencils.
"Dreaming of Geese & Stars" Pillows:
The graphic pillows were created using ChickDuckGoose graphics. All CDG graphics are png files with a transparent ground. Simply print image onto transparent transfer paper and follow the product instructions for transferring to a pillow covering.
- You can find inkjet transparency film at any office supply store or on Amazon. Make sure you set your printer settings to “transparency” and allow your print to sit untouched for a few minutes to allow the ink to dry fully.
- Tracer projectors can be found at art supply stores or on Amazon.
- It is generally best to use an H-grade pencil, preferably a 3H or 4H, as these have less of a tendency to smudge.
- For eco-friendly paint choices—no-VOC and non-toxic—see here or here.
- Learn how to “stencil like a pro” here.
- Transparent transfer paper can be found at craft supply stores or on Amazon.
Pom Pom basket (to collect stars in) by pehr.